Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Orlando Audition: A New Adventure


Monday, September 30, 2013

Well, more than two months later, I thought I should sit down and actually write down the Orlando Story. 

If you haven’t heard or read, I am traveling to Orlando, Florida, this December to participate in a national talent showcase. 

This is how it started.

Back in July, I heard an ad on a local radio station:  “Calling all singers, actors, models, and dancers: come to this audition! It’s not like auditions you may have experienced before!”  Or something to that effect.

Well, the first time I heard the ad, if I’m being honest, I half-heard it.  It was during a workday, as I rushed about town, so I didn’t pay too much attention.  I heard it again about 2 days later, and again about a week later.  I actually tried to call the phone number that time: 1-800-STAR-102.  It rang and rang with no answer.  I figured it was not legit, so I dismissed the thought.  A couple days later, I heard the ad and phone number again, “Auditions will be Friday, July 19th.”

I called again, this time on Monday, July 15th.  I got an answer, and said, “Yes, I’m calling about auditions in Salina, Kansas this Friday.”

“Yes, we will be in Salina this Friday…the auditions start at 7:00pm, and I’m going to give you a website that you can go to, that will give you more information about your audition.”

My thoughts were, “That’s it? Really?  I just show up?”  I had been expecting to be given a 20 minute time slot, sometime during the day, that I was going to have to jump through hoops to be able to make.

She gave me the website, www.theartstalent.com.  I forgot about it until the next day, Tuesday.  On the website, I found out that there would be a presentation before the audition process: “We want you to know who you’re auditioning for.” 

I also found out that I could prepare a 60-second song and a 60-second monologue.  “Okay, cool,” I thought.  Also, I was to bring a picture of myself, no larger than 5x7, that could be kept with my file.

The REALLY COOL part was that, about a month prior to this, I had been watching my favorite show, Gilmore Girls, in my living room, like I always do.  I came across a really strong rant by Lorelai, the main character, and I stopped everything I was doing, rewound it, and watched it again.  And again.  “Wow, that was a really good monologue,” I thought.

So, a month later, upon seeing “prepare a 60-second monologue”, guess which one came to mind?  It was like the monologue had been divinely given to me for precisely this audition.

On Thursday, I thought to myself, “Oh, that audition is tomorrow; wasn’t I supposed to print an audition form off the website?  Oh, I also need to pick which picture I’m going to print off.”  So back to the website I went.  This time I printed the form and made sure I was clear on the expectations and “rules” for the audition.  “Everything is G-rated; no drama allowed!” (I’m paraphrasing, but basically, the company is family-friendly and oriented---not your typical slang/gang/all-the-rage Hollywood).

I also picked my picture off my Facebook albums.  Luckily, I had a slew of semi-professional photographs to choose from, as this modeling thing is not completely new to me.  J

On Friday, the day of the audition, I had a full morning of work appointments.  My job is not a typical office job; I drive all over town all day to different homes and schools.  I tried to get up super early to do my 55-minute Turbo Fire workout that was scheduled for the day; I failed, so I had to fit it into my after-work-before-audition schedule. 

I also had to figure out when I was going to hit up Walgreens to print out my 5x7 picture. 

I figured out that I had a window of time between the end of my 1pm appointment and the beginning of my 3pm appointment.  I thought I was going to have to drive this kid all the way back out to the country to his house, though, so I didn’t know just how much time I would end up having.

Well, as divinely set up as it could get, the kid’s grandmother had me drop the kid off to them at the grocery store, just across the street from the Walgreen’s where I needed to print my picture.  Score. (And thank you, Jesus)

Oh, and by the way, I didn’t have any idea what song I would be singing until about 12:45pm that afternoon, on my way to pick up my 1pm appointment. 

I was driving out to the country, to pick him up, and I was wondering, “WHAT am I going to sing?”

Not 10 seconds later, the song pops into my head and I sang it out loud: a Garth Brooks song I remembered singing in high school with my show choir.

“You know a dream is like a river/ever changing as it flows/ and the dreamer’s just a vessel/ that must follow where it goes/trying to learn from what’s behind you/never knowing what’s in store/makes each day a constant battle/just to stay between the shores/and I will sail my vessel/til the river runs dry/blah blah blah blah blah blah blah/these waters are my sky/I’ll never reach my destination/if I never try/so I will sail my vessel/til the river runs dry”

It gave me chills. 

But, darn, what are the actual words behind those “blah’s”?

Inside my head: “Okay, figure out the rest of the lyrics later; gotta pick up this kid; but this is the song I’m singing.  Cool!”

Right.  So back to the Walgreens intervention.  I dropped off the kid, then ran across the street and dropped off my picture for printing.  My plan was to go see my next two kids (3-4pm; 4pm-5pm) and then pick up my picture.

I picked up my picture at 5pm.  Then, I called my friend Jeff.

“Jeff?  Okay, I need a favor.  I can’t explain now.  I’ll explain everything later.”

(Jeff) “Okayyyy…”

“Okay, I need the lyrics to the first verse and chorus of a song.  I don’t know what the song is called.  It’s something about a river.  It’s a Garth Brooks song.  Are you ready for me to recite the first line?  That should be enough for you to put into Google and get the rest of the lyrics.”

So, 2 minutes later, Jeff called me back with the title of the song, the lyrics to the first verse, and the lyrics to the chorus, clarifying my mystery “blahs”.


“Like a bird upon the wind/these waters are my sky.”

Okay, cool.  Thanks, Jeff.  J

So THEN I went home and rushed through my 55-minute workout, which I finished at around 6pm.  Then I took a 1-minute shower (rinse-off with warm water, just to get the sweat off), and sat on my couch drying off while I frantically scribbled my monologue onto the back of an envelope.

Yup.

I let my hair down and added more powder to my shiny face.  I curled my eyelashes, added tinted lip balm, and a little eyeliner.  I picked clothes to wear (pink top, jeans, black flats). 

I was out the door at 6:27 pm. 

I pulled up to the hotel, parked, and got out of the car.  I walked to the door, then realized that I didn’t have my picture with me.  I panicked for a minute, thinking I left it at home.  Thankfully, I had left it in the car when I pulled up in my driveway to do my workout.

I went back to the car and got my picture.  I walked into the lobby.  I checked in at the table.  I sat down to fill out my form (which I had not managed to fill out previously).  Then they told us it was time to start the presentation.

I went in and found a seat in the front row.  I listened while Ms. Kim Myers introduced herself, her company, and what they were all about.  She told us how she works and what she is auditioning us for.  She told us she travels around the country to find talent for her “human buffet” that she puts on her big Broadway stage in Orlando, in front of Disney, Sony, Tyler Perry Studios, and others.  She told us that she believes everyone needs a chance to pursue their talent.  She told us that everything we do in Orlando is prepared ahead of time.  She told us that she doesn’t put anything on her stage in Orlando that is not good.  She told us, “This is my show.”  She told us that if we got a callback, we would get an email late tonight, inviting us to an informational session where we would receive more details about the program.

Then she asked for anyone who would be singing to line up, as we were to go first.  The line was long.  I was cowardly.  I got in line wayyyyy in the back.  I tried not to be nervous.  I watched little kids sing, teenagers sing, boys, girls…then it was my turn.  There were a total of probably about 50 people in the room.

I stood in front of the judges’ table (and the whole room of families and children behind them), introduced myself, and watched as Ms. Kim sprang into action: “So what kind of heritage do you have going on here?  Do you speak Spanish?  Your last name makes it look like you should speak Spanish, but you know, so often it looks that way, and then the person doesn’t speak Spanish.  You know, this means two languages, two commercials, two paychecks, right?”

Whoa. 

“Okay, what are you going to sing?”

“I have ‘The River’ by Garth Brooks.”

And I sang.

She liked it, talked to me some more, then told me that she wanted to hear me read a commercial from the prepared scripts they had for us. 


“Actually, I have a 50-second monologue I prepared.  It’s not all the way memorized, but I have it here, written down.”

“Go for it.”

So I went.

“Look at you!”

She looked over my audition form, over my goals and aspirations, and said, “There’s a passion there when you perform; it’s a hunger, I think.  You know, a lot of times, in this business, you find yourself trying to motivate people to do more, to challenge themselves.  I look at your form here, and I see myself trying to keep up with you; you don’t get that a lot.  Nicely done.”

Whoooooaaa.

I couldn’t believe how genuine the whole process was; how calm and confident I was while I sang (I used all my breath support and everything!), how encouraging Ms. Kim was. 

I felt truly good about it.

I left the audition thinking, “That was the best audition experience I’ve ever had.  I don’t even care what comes of it.”

I called Fred and gave him the play-the-play, then just went home.  I knew I had to work the next morning, as it was my assigned Saturday for the month.  I don’t have internet, so my plan was to check my email at work the next morning. 

Well, 10:00 am Saturday morning rolled around, and I checked my email, on the slowest computer and internet connection known to man.  But I managed to read: “Callback from the ARTS” in the subject line.

I had a callback.  Yay!

The information session was the next day, Sunday.  Ooh.

In Kansas City.  Yikes.

Kansas City is a 3 hour drive from Salina. 

I called F and gave him the “yay”, the “ooh”, and the “yikes”. 

I calmly told him I wanted to go, and that I would go by myself, but felt like it would be really beneficial if he went with me, especially because I didn’t want to have to come back and try to explain the whole thing to him.  He is a very detail-oriented person, and I knew that there would be no way I could explain it to his liking.

He had to go to work, and so did I, so we agreed to talk after his shift, at 8:30 pm that night.  When we talked again, it was decided: we would go to 9:00 am service at church the next morning, and then we would drive to Kansas City for the info session.

The info session started at 4pm, and we listened to all the details, including cost of the program (it’s a very honest, no-hidden-costs thing; definitely not a “quick rise to stardom” or “get-rich-quick” scheme).  We learned that I had til the following Monday, July 29th, to decide whether or not I would be attending the showcase in December, and to put down my initial deposit.

I knew I wanted to go, and I would say my final decision was made by about Wednesday the 24th.  But the area between the info session and my final decision was agonizing.  It was stressful, worrisome, and lots of prayer was involved.  I didn’t know how I was going to afford it, mostly.

But we scrounged together my deposit, and on Monday, July 29th, I called it in and secured my spot on the biggest stage of my life: The Applause Rising Talent Showcase in Orlando, Florida. 

I felt like everything had been lined up and put in place and dropped in my lap for me to have this audition.  I felt blessed to have the callback, and privileged yet COMPLETELY OVERWHELMED to be able to spend time trying to make a decision about the showcase.  There was an overwhelming feeling of a cloud of providence surrounding this ordeal for me. 

Thus began my journey. 




No comments:

Post a Comment