Saturday, January 28, 2012

I Believe

It's been 14 days since my last post.  If I remember correctly, my last post was ranting and raving, describing all the changes going on.  Well, the last 14 days have been crazyweirdbeautifulhorribleamazingdrasticoverwhelmingridiculousexhausting.  I'm physically moving in to my new place.  My roomate and I decided we SHOULD have taken before and after pics, since there was no carpet and it was FULL OF STUFF when I first looked at it.  I've watched too much HGTV, and saw the potential in the space.  Thankfully?  I hope so.  I hope this works out well.  I'm on the lease for the next 6 months.  The goal is to be there starting the 1st.  And two weeks later I'll come back and get my cat.  :-( I'm gonna miss her, it will be hard to not have her with me, but I really want to get everything settled before I bring her into it. ( I still need my kitty relocation talk with Lee and Alle )
There is some anxiety about the new budget, but I'm trying to have faith that everything will work out, and I will have everything I need.
The "Meatless Monday" thing continues.  :-)  I have lost somewhere between 9 and 12 lbs since January 6th (the scale at my doctor's office is not digital, and thus off by a few pounds; I use a digital scale at home).  The weight loss is awesome; the way my body feels is more awesome.  The way I'm able to control my cravings for food and meat and gross stuff that I used to eat all the time.  It's pretty empowering.
I feel different.  I'm noticing how much people need validation from others in order to feel successful, and it makes me sick.  I'm noticing how much worth people place on material things and worldly success and it makes me laugh.  Whatever happened to dedicating one's life to a good cause, to helping sick people, or teaching children?  Why is it now, "Let's teach you how to not need anyone else but yourself?"
I think that we need other people.  We were created to live in community.  I believe in placing people above possessions, and time over treasures.  Making connections is the most important thing in my eyes, but connections over meaningful things, things of the soul and person, not material things.  
I believe that success is defined by lots of things, not just the car you drive or the amount of money you make for the work you do or do not do.  I believe that people from "mediocre" surroundings and beginnings can rise to make the most of themselves and their resources.  I believe that everybody does the best with what they have; I believe that some people have more available to them than others.  I don't believe that everyone is afforded the same opportunities.  I believe that there is a journey laid out for each person.  I don't like the word mediocre; it's just a word man created to decide what to judge as better or of higher quality.  I don't like the world that man is continuing to create; it's judgemental and harsh and places way too much value on comparing ourselves to those surrounding us.  I know I have to live in the world, but I can choose to live by the standards I believe are the true standards, and refuse to CONFORM to those telling me that I am CONFORMING. 
You're right, people, there is more to life.  But it is definitely NOT what you're trying to tell me it is (cars, money, time to loaf and do nothing).  I already know what it is.  I choose to be confident in what MY JOURNEY is turning out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment