Monday, December 19, 2011

Meatless Monday

My sister is visiting from Arizona this weekend.  She is supposed to fly out tomorrow morning, but we are supposed to get quite a few inches of snow tonight, so that may not happen!  At least I get her for another day! 
During her stay in Kansas, we have run a 5k to help raise funds for a mission trip to Puerto Rico, and gone down to Lindsborg and visited all the dala horses on main street.  We have taken lots of pictures (as soon as I figure out how to post them here, I will).  The 5k on Saturday was the beginning of my "re-training".  No, I didn't train for it.  We just jogged and walked it.  We stopped 3 times to walk, and we came in 4th place for our "age group".  It was not competitive for us, just fun and exercise.  It felt so great to be moving again!  After the "race", I was so pumped up!  I was running around the parking lot cheering people on and taking pictures of everyone!  They fed us free chili; that was nice of them!  It was not too cold, although after about the first 1.5 miles, my chest started burning a little.  The best (and worst) part was how MUDDY it was!  My calves were covered in mud!  And my feet were soaked!  It was the nastiest I have EVER gotten on a run in my entire running career.  But it was a blast. A good experience.  We talked a lot while we jogged and maybe even bonded a little (imagine that).  It was the first time we did anything like this together, and now, I think there will be more times to come!
When we got home after our super-long, fun Saturday, I offered to run a bath for my sister,  She was completely excited, and said, "Wait, let me go get my book!"  The book? "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin.  It immediately caught my attention, but I didn't pick it up until 2 hours later.  I've hardly b een able to put it down.  Yes, the title has a curse word in it.  Yes, the authors are quite blunt and use language that is offensive.  But the truth of the matter is, this book encourages women to stop putting garbage into their bodies.  Freedman and Barnouin do this in a vegan-focused sort of way, and advocate for not eating meat or dairy products.  They consider meat "garbage".  Now, the majority of people don't think this way, I know, but it has been extremely interesting to read all the details about what any given certain kind of food does to our body, good and bad, with no big words thrown in to sound impressive, just the real truth about food.  I think it's a great book.  I'm learning a lot.
And today is my first day of a meatless diet, at least for a week.  ((The animal cruelty sections in the book really got to me, and the referring to meat as "carcass" and "animal flesh" really make one think.))  I have loved meat my whole life, but I don't want to be addicted to it, or to anything else that is harmful to my body (yes, I know, "Meat isn't harmful to your body, Gilda!"  --read the book, then come talk to me).  For now, I want to feel light, clean, and pure, and kickstart my weight loss, and not make my body work harder than it has to by digesting a bunch of....carcass.  Sorry.  I'm addicted to meat too, I'm just trying to gain a new perspective.  http://www.skinnybitch.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment