Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Save It for a Rainy Day

12/3/16
1:30 am
(it’s really 12/4/16…this evening shift work schedule makes life difficult)

So, yesterday was interesting.  I said, “Hmmm, let’s see what comes out of my brain today.” And, well……a lot came out.  Frankly, I surprised myself with the vividness of the memories still in my brain. 
I want to write about something happy, but today it rained ALLLLLLLLLL dayyyyyy LOOOONNNGGG.
It was the first dreary day of the year.
And it was…chaotic and stressful at work..
And I kept noticing my thoughts returning to negative or dark things, or triggers.
I don’t want to write about triggers right now, because it’s 2am and I have to be at church in like 7 hours 
(especially if I want to post all my writing on time *wink*//I’m already behind on posting, but let’s not talk about that).
Maybe I can write a quick poem.
Nah, maybe I’ll just ask a simple, not-so-simple question that’s been bugging me for a few days.

QUESTION:
Why does just THIS TIME OF YEAR have to be the MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR?
I mean, really.
What if I like summer better…or Easter?  Am I not allowed to claim that as the “happiest season of all?”  Just why can’t I have gay, happy meetings and have friends come to call...in April? Is that against the rules?
I’m just saying that I’d like to tell passersby to be of good cheer, year-round.

Do you ever wonder why families only go out of their way to visit each other during “the holidays”, and like, who decided our corporate calendars and what days we should get off work, anyhow?

MORE QUESTIONS:
Who decided that the best time to be grateful for life’s blessings is in November?  Or, perhaps even worse, that the only time it is socially appropriate --- or considered “not too extreme” --- to speak about gratitude is when there’s paper turkeys hanging on storefront windows, or pumpkins piling up nice and plump in the patch? 

When did it get set in stone that the holidays are “the season of giving”? 

What if giving was a lifestyle that was celebrated no matter the month (or the temperature outside)?  What if we didn’t need eggnog or pumpkin-spice-anything to give us that warm, fuzzy feeling in our tummies because we were already so full of joy that we just wanted to pass that joy on to our neighbor, no questions asked?


I’m just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment