Friday, December 16, 2016

Little Too Much Christmas

#keepcalmWRITEon Day 12

**

(new friend at dinner): "It's just you here?"
(me): "I'm from Arizona."
(new friend): "So you have no family here???"
(friend who's known me longer and knows me better): "She has all of us."

**


It was a little too much Christmas for me.
We sat around the beautifully decorated table with lit candles, and opened simple, thoughtful, gifts at our placesettings.  We played a game after dinner.
We're still two weeks away, but I just feel it choking me out.
I have so many opinions, so many stereotypes I want to crush, but dare not speak against any of them, for fear of crossing some i n v i s i b l e line in this society I'm still trying to figure out
.
I live outside the box. That means my life has no "holiday compartment". I get uncomfortable trying to explain my "lack of traditions" to those who don't know me. I just don't agree that I'm missing out. I guess my tradition is that I don't have a tradition, like Nicki said. Is that such a bad thing? 
I'm in the beautiful, free space to be whoever I want to be. Because of this, I have the privilege of being a part of the lives of so many. Friends have turned into family. Most of them understand my heart.

I may be a wanderer, but I am certainly not lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment